Skip to main content

Classroom "Culture"



We have began our research on different pathogens.
Being a science unit, our research has been very hands-on as. The science strand ' Living Things" helps us focus on the following:
The study of the characteristics, systems, and behaviours of humans and other animals (including pathogens) ; their interactions and relationships between and among them, and their environment.
They key words that stood out  for us was "behaviour", "interaction" and "relationship."

Our big question was: under what conditions do micro organisms like bacteria/fungi thrive?
In order to find out how microorganism, behave and interact with their environment, we made some food for our classroom guests, the metaphorical white elephants -millions of them in 6B.
We made some very tasty pasty dough using white flour and water.
We then weighed the dough...
Then,
We needed to use our estimation skills! We finally adjusted the dough after weighing each portion.
We discussed our variables as all  scientists do.
The control was one open ziplock back with the dough in it, placed on the classroom desk.
We adjusted the other ziploc bags to create different conditions.

Read as push!

Unfortunately, the cleaning staff of our school thought the better of this sample. 

We have been weighing the dough every day and noting down any changes in weight. With a little more data in hand, we should be able to create a line graph indicating what is going on inside those plastic bags. It will be very interesting to compare the data.
We have  started observing how the pathogens in the air are interacting with their environment.
Suddenly there is a party going on and they have all come together. We realised that was why we could finally see them!
A big learning moment for the girls.
Alongside this, we have began comparing the different types of pathogens.
Students were asked to complete a matrix comparing bacteria, virus and fungi and write what they know or think they know about these tiny living things (or non-living- they don't know this yet)
CriteriaBacteriaVirusFungi
Size   
What they need to survive
   
are they harmful or useful when in our bodies   
Can we use them in our daily lives?   
How can we control them?   

The students had 10 minutes to work in pairs and come up with the answers.

The next 10 minutes-
As a whole class we then came up with the following matrix:
And we finally were able to focus on our next research focus:
That's all for today.
Be nice to our micro friends and they will be nice to you!
Have a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling the inquiry cycle in a PYP class room

“ People can make choices to support the sustainability of the Earth’s energy resources .” Me to students : Does that make sense? Students to me : (after a while)...not really...  Their understanding of "energy" during the pre-assessment task also reflected a superficial knowledge of the term. And thus our unit of inquiry started. As I was browsing the net, I came across this picture prompt- a map, which I thought would serve as a great provocation. The annual energy consumption per person . Kids love guessing where countries are, so it was a great way to address some geography at this point.  I had also been reading Craig Dwyer's  post  which inspired me to change my inquiry cycle and use a simpler one. Wonder (while exploring)- Explore (while wondering)- Create (while reflecting)- Reflect (with subsequent wonderings). I was feeling more at ease now. The map allowed the students to make a lot of inferences based on patterns which slowly

Summative assessment- simple machines

The student task : to design a machine that would : a) pop a balloon b) lift a bucket of water c) ring a bell d) push a ball into a hole Criteria: They must must design a machine using atleast 2 simple machines. They have to use IT skills and upload their video on Youtube, generate the embed code and transfer same to blog. Their video must be clear and creative. Though some of these students may be struggling with the language, using correct scientific vocabulary ensures that their presentations are clearly understood.

A teacher's antidote to stress

Life can become hectic for us teachers. What does a Friday feel like to you sometimes? By the end of the day, I feel like having a hot bath, switching off my mobile phone, and ignoring everyone around me. For my Masters program, the first thing we were made aware of was the intense stress teachers go through and how important it is to make time for yourself. I always felt selfish when I took out a little 'me' time. My kids would be banging on the door while I was getting a massage done at home. When I would come out after one hour, feeling happy, I would get sarcastic looks from everyone in the house! But I always knew that if I did not take out some time for myself, I would get mad! I love Hatha Yoga. Every morning I feel and enjoy the stretches; I am conscious of how I breath. I silently communicate with my body and get to know it. With a little practice, this becomes a really good habit. I love smooth pebbles! I collect them whenever I see one that intrigues me